There is much good to be done in Whatcom County — annually on Giving Tuesday and throughout the year.
Our area is blessed with many nonprofits seeking to help friends and neighbors in Bellingham, Ferndale, Lynden and the farther reaches of the county.
By supporting local nonprofits — giving time, talents or financial donations — any business, no matter its size, can help build up the community that supports the company. A rising tide floats all boats, as they say.
As you plan your marketing budget, consider allocating some funds in support of well-meaning organizations in our community. When sponsoring a fundraiser, companies typically get a marketing boost in the form of signs at the event, logos in brochures or mentions in social media posts. Sponsoring a local nonprofit’s fundraising event supports community members while also bringing positive attention to your business.
Explore the list below to find a nonprofit that matches your company’s desire for giving.
- Allied Arts of Whatcom County has a vision of enlivening and promoting the artistic identity within the community and making the region an arts destination and creative, vibrant place to live.
- Animals as Natural Therapy helps improve mental and behavioral health through animal-guided programs and mentorship with special attention to youth and veterans.
- Blue Skies for Children strives to raise hope and self-esteem by sponsoring enrichment activities and other essentials for homeless, low-income and foster children in Whatcom and Skagit counties.
- Brigadoon Service Dogs provides service dogs for veterans, children and adults with physical, developmental and behavioral health disabilities to promote a more independent and enriched life.
- Cascade Connections empowers people with disabilities to enhance their quality of life, helping them gain the tools and knowledge they need for independent living and employment opportunities.
- Catholic Community Services supports poor and vulnerable people through the provision of quality, integrated services and housing, focusing on those individuals, children, families and communities struggling with poverty and the effects of intolerance and racism.
- Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Services supports individuals affected by domestic violence, sexual assault and sexual exploitation and works to lead the community toward ending these abuses of power.
- Downtown Bellingham Partnership is dedicated to furthering the vibrancy and growth of downtown, working to enhance, promote and advocate for a vibrant city center through development, promotion, support and celebration.
- Lydia Place aims to disrupt the cycle of homelessness and promote sustained independence for current and future generations.
- Opportunity Council helps people improve their lives through education, support, and direct assistance while advocating for just and equitable communities.
- Sean Humphrey House works to change, improve and extend lives by offering safe and affordable housing and basic needs assistance to residents living with HIV/AIDS.
- Skookum Kids has a mission to repair foster care by involving whole communities.
- Whatcom Dispute Resolution Center aims to provide and promote constructive and collaborative approaches to conflict and is working to make Whatcom County a community in which people approach conflict in creative and healthy ways.
- Whatcom Humane Society, the oldest nonprofit animal welfare organization in Whatcom County, is committed to caring for any animal in need.
- Whatcom Literacy Council works to empower adults to achieve their goals and improve their lives through literacy.
- Work Opportunities promotes self-determination, self-respect and valued participation in the community for persons with disabilities through work.
For additional options in Whatcom County, check out the Whatcom Volunteer Center, which lists a number of excellent nonprofit organizations on its website.
As you ponder how to market your business while practicing good corporate citizenship, feel free to call Bellingham PR & Communications for advertising guidance or for assistance with graphic design and copywriting.